Title: International brands keep on arriving and expanding in shopping centres
- Many women preferred other type of garments rather than jeans in 2014. In current value terms, women’s leggings recorded 14% growth over the year, while women’s shorts and trousers and women’s dresses grew by 10% each.
- In Chile, the major retailers Falabella, Cencosud Retail, Ripley Corp and Wal-Mart Chile remained as the four leaders of apparel and footwear, including sales of clothes purchased in department stores and in hypermarkets.
- Although the Chilean apparel and footwear industry presents a very competitive environment, it is still attractive for international brands. Some specialist retailers continued to arrive or expand in the country in 2014, including brands such as Aéropostale, Celio*, Victoria’s Secret and Forever 21.
- Internet retailing continued expanding in Chile during 2014. There are examples of this trend in many types of retailers including Dafiti, the main internet apparel and footwear seller in Chile; department stores such as Falabella, Ripley, and Paris (Cencosud Retail).
- International brands keep on arriving and expanding in shopping centres despite deceleration, which helps outlet stores as high-end stores also record growth